Earth / Physical Science
2015 - 2016
North Royalton High School
Mr. Boch’s Classes
Greetings, and welcome to E.P.S.! This class is a combination of the old Earth Science and Physical Science courses. It is a fun, fast-paced, project oriented science class that covers many different scientific disciplines. We will follow the textbook closely (but not always in chapter order). You can expect a reading assignment almost every week in the text. As I said we move pretty fast. We will cover topics in Physics, Chemistry, Meteorology, Geology and Astronomy. You will be expected to take reading notes and class notes and you must bring your class notebook every day!
Materials for Course
For this class you will be expected to have a Three-ring binder (or three flat notebooks with pockets and three-hole clasps), a pencil (every day!), a ruler (with metric and SAE), and a scientific calculator (TI-30 is the best but if you need to get one of those fancy TI-84’s for another class you can use it in here). Some of the projects we will do in class may require you to buy odds and ends at the craft or hardware store but most everything should be able to be scavenged.
I won’t bore you by telling you to respect others, know when your assignments are due and so on. You know this stuff by now (or should), so here are my little bug-a-boos. - Assignments should be done only in pencil or blue or black ink.
- I accept late work as follows: 1-3 days late, –50%; 4+ days late, you keep it, no credit!
- Please, no name-calling in my class, even silly stuff. If one of your lab group members has made a mistake the last thing they need to hear is you calling them stupid.
- Textbooks MUST be covered by FRIDAY!
- I reserve the right to limit hall passes, don’t ask too often and we won’t have an issue.
- Late to class: students will be allowed to be up to two minutes after the bell twice per semester. That’s it, after that you will receive a detention for every late.
- Please do not touch the fans in the classroom, temperatures in the room can exceed 95° in August, I know that’s hot, but we have the fans positioned to help everyone.
That’s pretty much it. Except…
- Cell phones – If I see them (or hear them) I take them. You get them back at the end of the day with a detention. Second offense and you see your unit principal for a Wednesday school.
Parents, please do not call or text your child during school hours. In the event of any emergency please call the NRHS office at 440-582-7801. Cell phones are a major disruption; please do not call or text your children during school hours.
Grades will be based on weekly quizzes (STUDY FOR THEM), homework, projects, and, each grading period, a major project and portfolio due at the end of the quarter. More on that later.
Stay informed at: mrboch.com , and…